PostHeaderIcon Essaouira

The story begins in Essaouira VII century BC The Phoenicians were calling at the island Mogador when down to black Africa. Pottery, found on the island of Essaouira and signed the name of the Carthaginian admiral Magon, indicates the presence of the Carthaginians around the city around 630 BC. The most important of these islands was for the first time permanently inhabited by the Romans from the late first century BC. The king of Mauritania, Juba II, installed a facility to extract the dog whelk , this valuable shellfish which gave them the famous purple color with what they dyed their robes. The same dye gave his name to Purpuraires islands off Essaouira.

From the tenth century, in the port of Essaouira transited all goods produced in the province and across the Souss southern Morocco. The fourteenth century, Amogdoul becomes Mogdoura for the Portuguese who settled there. They made the city an important trading post. In 1506, they built a small harbor and several forts. Which would give the city its specific configuration. Such a useful fortress mitigated its vulnerability, due to its excessive exposure. The Portuguese encouraged at the time the intensive exploitation of sugar cane. Transformed by the Spanish to Mogadour, he French gave him the name Mogador.

The construction of the city began in 1760 and ended in 1765, at the request of its founder, Sultan Mohamed Ben Abdellah who sassigned the plan to a famous French architect Théodore Cornut. The perfect line of the ramparts worth the city its present name of Essaouira, which means "Well-Designed"

Makhzen officials, European merchants, Berber and mountaineers backcountry, owners of slaves from black Africa, Jewish jewelers were meeting to establish business relationships. This is probably for its commercial and cultural encounters that Essaouira has its legendary charm. The small port of Essaouira will later became a real naval base.
The old Medina was surrounded by gates that protected the city and were closed after sunset. The Kasbah is the oldest district of the city. It was the residential Makhzen that consisted of city leaders. It was reached from the "Bab Sbaâ" gate moving north there is "Bab Doukala" and going east we find "Bab Marrakech" gives the new neighborhoods the edge of the disks.

Northern Kasbah was occupied by the consuls. Sultan built a house for each one of them. The Medina, jewel, now ranked World Heritage by UNESCO, teeming with onlookers, fishermen, traders and artisans that mingle artists from all over the world.
Then the Kasbah, the oldest part of the city which is accessed by the beautiful gates that mark the city as "Bab Sbaâ" north "Bab Doukaka, east, and" Bab Marrakech". The bastion of this other was transformed into the largest kingdom art gallery. Through its exhibition and gripping surface, it is five times the gallery Bab Doukala Marrakech and four times that of Bab Ruach Rabat.
On the front of the sea, the majestic sqala appears with its circular plaza and turned his cannon towards the ocean. Strolling through the streets, souks surrounding the clock tower, you will see the workshops and marquetry cabinet installed in the old casemates. They work mainly with the cedar for a centuries accuracy.

Argan :


Another feature of the city, the natural resources that abound its hinterland, but more importantly, the argan tree a unique one in the world (only grows in this region of the world) that adapts to local climatic conditions and gives a fruit based which produces Argan oil known for its nutritional and cosmetic benefits. In 1999, UNESCO has classified this tree as a universal heritage that must be preserved and saved.

Gnawa :


The Gnawa are former inhabitants of the city, they are master musicians and use percussion instruments and strings (Drum and guenbri) and rattlesnakes (krakech) ...

Surf :


Recent decades surfers attracted by the waves and the regular trade winds in fact is a very popular sport destination.


Reservation
an image
Randoforyou.
For all bookings
Call us at:
Phone 1 : +212 661 997 025
Phone 2 : +212 619 511 742
Contact-Us
an image